ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE :BOON OR BANE
Back in the year 2005, If a scientist created a fuss about two robots talking to each other, in a language unknown to mankind, the so called society wouldn’t believe him.
But here we are! It’s the year 2017, We have come across the exact same problem as mentioned.
Half past this year, Facebook abandoned an experiment after two artificially intelligent programs appeared to be chatting to each other in a strange language only they understood.
The two robots came to create their own changes to English that made it easier for them to work. This “robot language” was not only a mystery but also very peculiar.
This experiment started as an attempt to try and negotiate two robots to make a trade, exchange hats, balls, books. All these activities were carried out by giving a certain value to each of the robots .The robots had been instructed to work out how to negotiate between themselves, and improve their bartering as they went along.
But this experiment took a dramatic turn when the robots seemed to have bizarre conversations. The conversation is as follows:
Bob: I can I I everything else
Alice: Balls have zero to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to
Bob: You I everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Alice: Balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me
Bob: I I can I I I everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Alice: Balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me
Bob: I . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
According to the scientists, this conversation meant nothing to anyone and they had shut down the experiment because they didn’t “retrieve what they wanted”.Top researchers did not completely shut down the programs because they were very much afraid of the results or had panicked, as it has been suggested elsewhere but because they were looking for them to behave differently to an extent.
Doesn’t it seem strange that they had shut down the entire operation after they had stumbled upon this incident? Are we looking at ‘Terminator’ future where robots take over mankind? Suit yourself to what you deem sane.
In 2015, during a conference, professor Stephen Hawking, one of Britain’s most eminent scientists, said and I quote “efforts to create thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence.” Elon Musk, Billionaire entrepreneur, said to a reporter that the only thing that keeps him awake in the nights, is that Google co-founder and CEO Larry page would be building a fleet of intelligence-based robots capable of destroying mankind.



Comments
Post a Comment